Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Update on the Demon Class

I've been in China for 3 weeks now and teaching in Yangzhong for 2 1/2. It feels like so much longer. Home seems a lifetime away and China seems like it's always been here.

I've only taught the Demon Class twice because they went on a field trip during one of our class times. But I'm proud to say that we are making progress! This time, there were only a couple flying projectiles, mostly paper, and I got them to sit practically completely silent for 20 minutes. Their teacher walked over to check on them and they were already quiet. GO ME!

Even though they were totally quiet for 20 minutes, that still leaves 25 other minutes where they were crazy. I had to tell them multiple times to put their homework from other classes away during the lesson, I made two students stand up in the back of class because they kept crawling around  on the floor at the back of the class. I confiscated a watch complete with a red laser that was being shown on me. And so on. I hate having to be so strict. In my other classes I can be kind of crazy and do things to make the kids laugh, but in this class, if I do that, they all go crazy and stop listening completely. If I let them be this loud and insane at the beginning of the year, they will only get worse as time goes on and I can't have that. 

They made postcards as part of the lesson activity at the end of class and most of them wrote apologies to me on theirs. It melted my heart and I just felt more love for them. They are children still in a sense and they work so hard in school. They are there nearly 12 hours of the day 5 days a week. They have so much pressure to do well in class. Can I really blame them for having pent up energy by the end of a long day? I try to make my lessons fun so they can have a little break from the mundane. We play games and I act weird so they laugh. I would just play games all class and have crazy amounts of fun, but I'm here to teach English, too so we have to do a lesson from their book or a cultural lesson about America. I hope that by the end of the semester, we can find a balance together that works for us both. You can't help but love them. Demonesque or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment