Tuesday, November 26, 2013

100 Days Party

My very dear friends Joy and Carl recently got married and had a baby. They had the most darling little baby boy in July. His English name is CJ (Carl Jr.). I know I'm not his blood relative, but whatever, I'm still his aunt and I love him to pieces!




I have learned about a lot of different traditions the Chinese have with newborns through Joy and Carl, but the most recent one is the 100 Day Celebration they held.  I've asked people and done a lot of searching online. Online there isn't much information, but others have told me that one reason is that the first 100 days are the most dangerous for a baby. If they live to be 100 days, they are out of the woods, so to speak. Otherwise, it's just a good time to let friends and family meet the new baby and give gifts or money and drink lots of alcohol.

Joy invited me to come, and originally I wasn't going to go because was in Nanjing on a Sunday night and I had two morning classes the next day. It just would've been hard. But then Joy begged and begged me to come because she would be taking CJ and going to Guizhou to stay with her mom until after the Chinese New Year. It was our last chance to see each other before she left.

I went to talk to my liaison about returning from Nanjing Monday morning. I wanted to make sure I'd be able to make it back in time without being late. Then she just told me to take Monday off, no problem. I was so surprised and so grateful!

I went into Nanjing early on Sunday to go to church first. Then in the afternoon after eating at "the rice place" with Brad and Ashley, I headed over to Joy's for some sister time. That was when the awkward introductions started. A few people came to the apartment to bring some fruit and other gifts and every single one asked Joy who I was. I stand out a little, you know.  Then I had to attempt to pronounce each name and tell them it was nice to meet them. That parts easy, but no matter how much Chinese I speak, names are always so hard. Especially because the Chinese put a lot of emphasis on correct pronunciation of names because they think it's polite.

We walked together to the restaurant and when I walked into the room, there were SO many people. It freaked me out a little as the only foreigner in the room, so I turned around and walked out. I know. Real brave. It's just that I draw a lot of attention in a room like that, and it can be nerve racking sometimes. I waited for Joy before going back in and she had me sit in between her and her friend whose English is really good.  Then, the eating and drinking began. For probably the 800 millionth time, I politely refused the wine when it was offered and took the orange juice instead. I expertly avoided the pig intestines and awkwardly joined in some toasts until Joy told me I didn't have to anymore. Then I awkwardly sat in my chair while everyone else toasted Joy and Carl. Then, Carl said, "Sarah, please enjoy yourself." I said, "Thank you." Then everyone started laughing at me. I was so confused! Apparently that meant Carl wanted to toast me, but I had no idea. So then I chinked glasses with him while everyone laughed. Surprisingly I wasn't embarrassed. I guess you get used to being laughed at here. Haha!

I also realize I know nothing about drinking culture in America because they were asking me what we say in America when we are drinking with our friends and I couldn't even tell them. Though I did tell them what Greek people say...

Each person at the party gave Carl a red envelope with money inside it. Each one would have between 100 and 200 yuan and goes towards helping the baby in one way or another.

I left a little early to go back to the apartment with Joy and CJ while Carl stayed. When Carl finally did come back, he was drunk. Really drunk. Swaying on his feet drunk. And it was hilarious. He's quite affectionate when he's drunk and he kept giving me hugs and saying thank you. Sadie pointed out that it's pretty impressive that he could manage to speak another language whilst so drunk. He said, "Sarah, thank you for my children's 100 day party."

Joy also showed me a video of CJ when they take him to get a "shower." What it really is is a place a lot of people take their babies to have a bath. They strap this sort of ring floaty around the baby's neck to keep his face out of the water and he swims around. CJ obviously really likes it and Joy kept saying, "He is so free." It is so interesting how different we do things.  Here's a video of another baby swimming. The water looks kind of gross and I assure you that CJ wasn't in gross water. His was clean. The lady talking is kind of annoying, but she's talking to the baby. She's saying he's 36 days old and he doesn't cry a lot. Also that he's very handsome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I4Lp1Oz_3c


The next day, I had lunch with Carl and Joy one last time before saying goodbye. China is wonderful, but always full of goodbyes. Lucky for me, they've usually turned out to be short, but every time, good bye is harder to say. This time, with tears in my eyes, I hugged my friends and thanked them for their kindness and friendship before getting on a bus back to Yangzhong. I miss them so much already, but in my heart, I KNOW I will see them again.

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. I LOVE hearing about all these cultural differences, and your awkwardness makes me grin. You know you growing when you're uncomfortable. ;)

    ReplyDelete