Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What Should I Call This?

Gosh. Time goes by so fast.

Just yesterday I was on a plane to China, and now, in only 2 weeks, I'm going to be on a plane to America. Tomorrow, I have my last Wednesday classes ever since the next Wednesday is Christmas and our school gave us the day off. No more favorite class and no more demon class. Sad.

I'm just trying to sum up my time here. Did I do what I came here to do? Did I meet who I needed to meet? Did I act the way I should? Did I learn enough Chinese? Though I feel mostly inadequate in all those areas, especially the Chinese department, I know I learned a lot personally that will change me for the good.

I'm leaving a little frustrated by one thing though. Today in class, I was trying to explain to a very confused student why we usually say, "He IS the same age as me," instead of, "He HAS the same age as me." When I finished a probably lame attempt, he said, "Can we ask our English teacher?" I was a little surprised and said, "You don't believe me?" "No, we believe you, but we must know for the exam." It doesn't matter if I teach them something because if their Chinese English teacher teaches them differently, that's the one they will have to remember because that's the one that will be important to their grades.

Students in China are VERY focused on exams. \During a Christmas activity, I asked some kids what they would want for Christmas. Most of them mentioned passing their exams. When I asked them about their weekend today, most of them groaned and said they got their exam scores back and it was not a good weekend. Poor kids. So much pressure.

When I first got here in October, I was really worried about Christmas. I was scared I'd be really homesick and my day would be ruined. I was sad to miss out on Christmas decorations, smells, and the spirit of it all while I'm here. Luckily, China loves the commercial side of Christmas so there are Christmas trees in stores, creepy Santa signs on doors, and so many people have asked about Christmas and what we'll do while we are here. So that parts covered. I've learned that Christmas is what you make it. The decorations, the candies, and other things are all great, but not necessary. Christmas is pouring out your love to those around you, softening your heart, and most of all, remembering Christ our Savior's birth and the joy he brought into the world. You can do that in China just as easily as you can in America. Sure, I'll really miss my family and being with them, but I have Sadie, and there's a strand of Christmas lights on my bed. There won't be snow, or a tree, or even a lot of gifts, but there will be something much more precious. Family, love, and a remembrance of the Savior. I never thought I'd need a lesson like the Grinch did, and it didn't hit me as hard as it hit him, but it's true, Christmas comes all the same.

Also, this week, one of our liaisons told us we have to put on a play for some visiting teacher on Thursday. 8 of my students will be performing Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. It's really cute and hopefully I get some good pictures. When they were practicing the lines, our liaison, Mary was helping them. When they came to the word unique, she told them to pronounce it sort of funny so it sounded like she said, "Rudolph is a eunuch reindeer." We corrected the pronunciation and then Mary said, "Oh! We always say it like that." Hahaha!

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment