Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hong Kong -----> Shenzhen

The last day in Hong Kong was great. We went to the 10,000 Buddhas Monastery to start the day. The monastery isn't in operation there, so there are just caretakers, but it has a really cool history. The Buddhas have different faces and some of them are really funny. I understand that there is a lot of symbolism, but I don't actually understand it so I'm a little ignorant. I would like to learn more about Buddhism someday and really start to understand it better since a lot of my Chinese friends are Buddhist.



The Hong Kong Museum was next, and it was good, but I don't really love museums and I've been before so it was a little boring. There are people who really love it though so I think it's good that we go there while on the tour.

We rode the Star Ferry across the harbor and back and then watched the laser light show put on by the buildings in the Harbor. We also had McDonald's for dinner which usually isn't very good, but in China, it's good.

Yesterday, we traveled across the boarder into Mainland China. I got another 2 stamps in my passport and found a restaurant to eat my favorite dish, eggplant!

Our hotel is in a really fun area with lots of places to walk around and a giant street market. There are two KTV places near-by and we are hoping to go one time. Our hotel room is decorated in pink and maroon which is funny. I just love walking the streets here. It really feels like I'm back and I'm already starting to feel like I'm home. Kendra and I get along really well and we have fun together. It is going to be a great 3 months in China!

I have to do my parts of the teacher training today for everyone and I'm pretty nervous. about the whole thing. I just hope I do a good job and help everyone as best I can. I just want to be able to make a difference for these people like others did for me.

After the training Kendra and I take a G train (the fastest train in China) to Beijing. We are taking the line they just completed from Shenzhen to Beijing. It will take 10 hours which is actually really fast for a train. From there someone will pick us up at the train station and the rest of what we are doing is still a bit of a mystery. Here's to living in China!

No comments:

Post a Comment